Thursday, September 20, 2007

Curtains Down on a Great Ring

As I was driving to the office today BBC announced the sad news of Madison Square Garden being retired from service.

The ring holds some special memories for dad and through him to me. Some of boxing great champs indulged in some memorables fights in this ring. To me boxing is Mohammad Ali, and he fought Joe Frazier in the same ring in 1971. That bought is regarded by many as the greatest boxing match ever. The fight was witnessed by some 20,000 people at the Garden. Frazier won the match on points in 15 rounds. Four years later Ali did beat Frazier in the same ring.

Madison Square was used recently by my all time favourite Hollywood actor Sylvestor Stallone for his TV boxing show "The Contendars."

I guess all good things must come to an end. And as the 82 year ring goes into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in New York, all those memories are enshrined forever!

No comments: