Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sir Syed Day - A Retrospection

I FEEL sad to say that my first attendance at 'Sir Syed Day' (in UAE) after leaving AMU was an utter disappointment. For me it's a day to remember the great soul and find ways to fulfill his dream of Muslim upliftment.

I absolutely adore Azharuddin for what he achieved on the cricket pitch, but why do we need to invite him when there are some very senior and highly influential Aligs already working in UAE.

We desperately need to change this image of 'Sir Syed Day' as a 'Sir Syed Dinner.' Also, where is the need to host dinner in a 5 star hotel! I think the whole purpose is killed by this dinner.

If my voice can reach anywhere I've the following humble suggestions-

1 Sir Syed Day should have a Q&A with a senior working representative from AMU on the ways to improve the working of the university.

2 There should be a small form for the people attending where they should give their suggestions and the ways they can contribute to the university.

3 The representative should share important figures like the number of campus selections and the students making it to the civil services.

4 The platform should also serve as a means to help our brothers and sisters looking for a job or accomodation. I know some people may laugh but it's a serious issue for an expat anywhere.

5 I know the event is very well organised and covered by the press in Saudi Arabia but it isn't in UAE. There should be a press release. At least those who are unable to make it know what all they missed. Indirectly it would serve to build the AMU brand which has been hit hard.

6 People should be felicitated on the basis of their contributions (beyond money, although money is important too) to the alma mater. Those providing books to the library or supporting poor students deserve equally.


7 Every year there should be a mention of some prominent Aligs who made the university proud with their achievements. A brief about their life and if possible a video message from them. This should be the common factor in all the different chapters of the event across the globe.

8 There are better fillers than the archaic jokes cracked during the recent event in UAE.

That's all I can think as of now. The bottom line is, it has to be a serious business if we want to restore the high standards of this great university.

I love my university and feel sad when I see the current state of affairs.

No comments: